Wix has been a leader in the DIY website building world for several years. However, Wix and SEO have not always gone hand-in-hand.
Happily, Wix has made vast improvements in the SEO capabilities for DIY-ers in every sector, and it’s essential you know how to navigate new Wix SEO best practices when building your site on this platform.
At Romain Berg, we want to equip you with relevant updates to get your business seen and heard online. We’re a fan of DIY websites and SEO at the start of your business. Getting yourself out there is way more important than achieving perfection as you launch your digital presence.
When DIY starts taking over your time, you could spend innovating new products, serving your customers, and growing as a biz owner; it’s time to outsource to the experts. Romain Berg offers a comprehensive, customized digital marketing strategy to each client we serve.
Plus, we’re the regional SEO experts, delivering results, not hype. Fill out our contact form today, and we’ll blast through your traffic and conversion goals with the experience and methodology that works.
Wix SEO: the Bad Old Days
Though Wix has always excelled at providing subscribers with templates and design elements that create “professional-looking” websites, their SEO tools have taken several years to align with current SEO standards.
Some of the SEO issues Wix had to overcome since its inception included:
- Flash technology: A large gaffe in SEO. Flash technology contains unreadable text, no search-ability or indexing, and no URLs.
- Lack of ALT attributes (no way to place ALT tags on your images for Google to search and index.)
- No accelerated mobile pages (AMPs)
- Super-slow page loading speeds
- No meta-description, page title, or URL optimization
- Peculiar URL structure which Google didn’t love, to say the least
These are some of the key criteria Google uses to index and rank websites, so it’s obvious that Wix missed the mark by a lot with SEO back in the day. Happily, they’ve spent the last few years up-leveling their SEO.
More Than Just a Pretty Website
The top reason to launch a Wix website is that building your site on Wix is a snap. You can choose from thousands of pre-made templates, or build your own site. Wix features intuitive design tools and plenty of easy-to-follow design tutorials to customize your website.
Now, Wix has expanded SEO tools, and an SEO wizard app to guide you through getting more search recognition for your site. Here’s how to start.
Follow the Prompts
Once you’ve logged into your Wix account, you’ll see a menu on the right of the screen. Scroll down to the “Marketing and SEO” tab, and click it to get rolling. Then, click the icon that says, “get found on Google.”
From there, you’ll follow a checklist. Each task will systematically walk you through updating your page titles and descriptions, as well as optimizing the homepage text for conversational keywords.
Once you’ve finished with the homepage checklist, you can move through the rest of your site pages in a similar fashion. Wix will let you know if you’ve forgotten anything with either a green check-mark for task completion or a red “x” if you’ve missed any SEO elements in the Wizard.
It’s best to get your home page optimized as quickly as possible, as that is the page Google uses most often in search indexes.
More Wix SEO Best Practices
Though Wix has its own set of SEO prompts for each web page on your site, it’s smart to brush up on SEO best practices, in general. No matter what site-builder you use, these rules of the road will help your site gain visibility on Google.
- Keyword research: Discovering the best keywords for your sector is paramount to ranking high in online searches. Long-tail keywords (think of a conversational question you’d shout out to Siri or Alexa) can push your search results if your business is a small fish in a big pond, or if you’re new to the marketplace. Beginning with a clear definition of your audience will help you discover the types of questions and problems your customers have. Use those questions and “pain points” to create or research effective long-tail keywords.
- Relevant content: The more keyword-rich content you create, the longer you can engage with your audience on your site (bounce rate), and the more Google can search and index your content for search rank. Plus, with more content, you show your audience how much you care about solving their problems. (Yeah, that’s a little touchy-feely, but user experience is a metric in the SEO world.) Your people need to know, like, and trust you. The more authority you can generate through your content, the more trust you build with your audience. Google loves trust.
- Loading speed: Nothing makes a site visitor leave faster than a slow-loading page. People, like, just don’t have time for that anymore, man. So, shrink your image file sizes, and do not add unnecessary animation or video elements to your pages. Those features will simply slow your roll, even though Wix has improved their page loading speed exponentially in the last few years.
Call the SEO Experts
It is a triumph to create and launch the website you built yourself. We totally get it. It’s like showing off the cabinet you built and stained in your spare time, or the sweater you labored over for months. (Nice job, by the way. We love business owners who grab the digital bull by the horns.)
Also, we can take your SEO to the next level no matter what platform you’ve used to build it. At Romain Berg, we eat, live, and breathe SEO 24-7-365.
When you work with us, we fully optimize your website, continually research the keywords that convert lookers to buyers, and relentlessly track your search metrics. SEO measures take a little time to show results, but when they happen, we celebrate with you–or nimbly change our tactics to match your goals.
We want to be sure the methods we employ work for you, and the numbers never lie. We continually pivot our approach based on real-time data for a strategy that grows your audience and gets you paid.Though you’ve done a great job with your site launch, we don’t know any owners who can spend the time that we do on this crucial element of your business success. Fill out our contact form and let our DFY (Done For You) SEO services up-level your DIY site.